Paw Print Press

Paw Print Press

Should schools put tracking devices in students I.D cards?

SOPHIE GRANT

Around the world schools are putting tracking devices in students ID cards to know where they are at and to make sure they aren’t skipping. This could also mean that kidnapping rates could go up and there’s a higher chance students will get stalked. We should talk about this because students just want their space and don’t want to be treated like prisoners. Even though it might seem like a good idea, tracking devices shouldn’t be put in ID cards because tracking devices could possibly put students in danger, students can’t/won’t wear it, and students are being treated like prisoners.

One important piece of information to support students shouldn’t have tracking devices in their ID cards, is having tracking devices could possibly put students in danger. “The technology, according to American Civil Liberties Union of Texas, is easy to acquire. This means that anyone outside of school might be able to monitor a student if they obtained the students tracking number.” There is a need to realize that anyone could get a student’s tracking number. This matters because students could possibly be put in danger. Another important idea from the website www.Thelariatonline.com explains why tracking devices could put students in danger. The website states “Since this technology was originally intended for cattle tracking, it wasn’t made to be untraceable which means students may be stalked by unwanted people like kidnappers, these ID’s are a huge danger for our students that could possibly result in a higher percentage of kidnapping.” This means that students are at a higher chance of getting kidnapped. This matters because students are more likely to get kidnapped and stalked then they were before.

Secondly, students can’t/won’t wear the tracking devices. The website titled “www.learning.blogs.nytimes.com” addresses the reasons why students can’t/won’t wear the tracking device. The website cites information to explain why students can’t/won’t wear the tracking device. One important fact to discuss is how students can’t/won’t wear the tracking device is “some students will think putting tracking devices into their ID cards is a bad idea because they just want their space.” There is a need to realize that students want their space, they don’t want to be tracked everywhere they go. In other words students think it’s a bad idea because they don’t want to be tracked. Another important idea from the website www.prideonlinedotnet.wordpress.com discusses the importance of students wanting their space and can’t/won’t wear the tracking devices. Another important key piece of information to discuss is how a student at a Texas high school couldn’t wear the tracking device due to religious reasons, so the school tried to suspend her. There is a need to realize that schools should not suspend people because they can’t wear their tracking device. This matters because this student’s religious beliefs made the high school want to suspend her for not wearing the ID card with the tracking device.

Third of all students feel like they are being treated like prisoners. The website www.rollingstone.com cites “We’ve watched SSOs be disrespectful to students and treat their students like they are criminals. This means that teachers are tracking students like they are criminals. This matters because students should not feel like they are prisoners. The website www.psychologytoday.com also says “In nine schools in Austin students charged with truancy are forced, like prisoners on parole, to wear GPS tracking devices everywhere and report regular to a ‘mentor’.” This means that the schools don’t trust these students, in other words the students are being treated like prisoners and are being tracked everywhere they go.

This information supports the causes of having tracking devices in students ID cards. Even though putting tracking devices in students ID cards might seem like a good idea here are multiple reasons why it’s bad, students could be put in danger, students can’t/won’t wear it, and students are being treated like prisoners.

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Should schools put tracking devices in students I.D cards?”

1. Linda on April 4th, 2018 1:35 am

I think, it’s bad idea. Because if children have tracking devices on their ID cards, pupils will not be free. They’ll always think themselves like a criminal, and their self confidence will be broken. Students must have freedom!

[Reply]

Ansh raj Reply:

I think it is realy very bad for the school going student because kidnaper are also well known that their is a tracking device with the student

[Reply]

2. Ansh raj on April 17th, 2018 8:03 pm

[Reply]

3. [email protected]$ on June 1st, 2018 5:28 am

This would be pretty bad. its in envision to my privacy and it is not the responsibility of the school district to know where I/my ID is at all times. It starts with ID but where does this stop? Will they put trackers in my car? Backpack? Do they not think we are responsible enough to take care of our selves? RIP privacy.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.