Paw Print Press

Paw Print Press

How should schools address bullying?

LIZBETH GARCIA-BALDERAS

To start with, have you ever thought the reasons bullying is very serious. Or how it affects kids/teens throughout their lives. Did you know that 3.2 million students are victims of bullying every year. There is good and bad consequences for those who are the victim or the bully. It is very important to know that there is many causes of those who are getting bullied and we should all know how to stand up to it safely. Even though, bullying is a huge problem around the world most commonly in the U.S there are some things we can do to try to stop it, how should schools address bullying, and how schools normally deal with it.

First of all, ways bullying could be stopped at schools is something common and we all know there is at least one person you know that might go through bullying. The article the” Campus Safety”, states that “Recognize there is a problem, it’s easier to identify the more traditional forms of bullying which include assault,tripping, intimidation or taunting. Other less recognizable forms of harassment can be, rumor spreading,name calling etc.’’ This means that there is many ways the bully or bullies can do. Also it states that there is at least one person every year’’ 4,400 deaths per year, according to the CDC. For every suicide  among young people, there are at least 100 suicide attempts. Over 14 percent of high school students have considered suicide, and almost 7 percent have attempted it’’. It says in the Bullying and suicide statistics. We are trying to  prevent bullying from happening but also the people that take their own lives every year due to bullying. There shouldn’t be any reason why others need to be bullying each other it’s unfair for teens or students to make such rude things to each other it’s not  right and it will never be.

The article the “Learning Network”the importance of how schools normally deal with bullying in schools. The website information states “And at North Hunterdon high school students would be told that there is no such thing as innocent as a bystander when it comes to bullying, if they see it they have a responsibility to try to stop it.’’  There is a need to realize that students try their best to stop those bullies but the schools shouldn’t rely on their students because the schools also have to try their best to step in and help with bullying to stop. In other words, the school are trying to take responsibilities over the schools job not them. Another important idea from the article the Huffpost states “Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me. The death of Rebecca Ann Sedwick 12 year old 7th grader who took her own life in Polk county, Florida provides words that are capable of nominating young vulnerable children.” There is many phrases that are being used against bullying like “sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me’’ like how it’s  used in the article the HuffPost. How many words you can tell that person can lead them to suicide, as parents and schools should be there for the people that are going through it because they feel that they are alone and no one is. It means that only 15% of people who go through bullying have reported it, many reasons could be because the students feel embarrassed or also don’t think that others will care.

Furthermore, how should we prevent bullying. The website titled “Stopbullying.gov” introduces   the reasons for preventing bullying. The website uses  information to discuss the prevention in ways to stop bullying. One important piece of information to describe the prevention of bullying is “Parents,school staff and other caring adults have a role to play to prevent bullying. They can help kids understand what bullying is and how they could stand up to it safely.” this means that their isn’t just ways to stop bullying as parents and at school they have a role to play to encourage those to be better. This matters because it’s important to help them so they understand there not alone. Another important idea from the website “Stopbullying.gov” explains the reason to prevent bullying is “Kids who know what bullying is  can better identify it. They can talk about bullying if it happens to them or others kids need to know these ways so they can stand up to bullying safely and how to get help.” This powerful example explains that kids who know what bullying is have a better understanding of what it is and how to stand up to it safely.  These examples confirm the causes of bullying and the many ways out to stand up to it safely.

In conclusion, all of these are not just some of many examples of bullying many of them are out there for people to learn about them. Everyone needs to be alert of all the issues bullying causes and one of the main causes is suicide no one wants that but it happens knowing we could’ve done something about it. Spread the word about bullying and let others know the cause and the consequences so then soon they could be aware of what is standing in front of them.