Paw Print Press

Paw Print Press

Why college athletes should be paid especially college football players

If the NCAA gets paid, then the players should as well

ISAAC MARTINEZ

In 2011 The University of Texas  generated over 100 million dollars in revenue just from football. The players, the ones that really generate that money, don’t get paid a penny of that 100 million dollars. The flip side of that is most of these college athletes get scholarships, that is most universities on why college athletes should not be paid. Even though paying college athletes would ruin college sports and players already get a scholarship, college athletes should be paid. If the NCAA gets paid then the players should as well. Playing college sports is a job not P.E, and college athletes especially college football players put their health at risk for their school. This topic is very important because they put so much time and effort in, then their school generates millions of dollars basically from these athletes and the university doesn’t give  any of that money to the players. So if all these other people are getting paid then the players should be getting paid as well.

To begin with, so if the NCAA college universities and college coaches get paid then the college athletes should get a monthly paycheck at least from the beginning to the end of the season. A website titled “Thesporter.com’ supports the idea of the NCAA college coaches and university getting paid tons of money. The article, “Top 10 Reasons Why College Football Players Should Be Paid”, gives information to explain why college football players should be paid. “Cable and network tv deals add millions to the coffers of individual collegiate programs”. This means that colleges get millions of dollars just from deals with tv networks. This matters because colleges are getting millions of dollars here and there from a lot of different places and none of that money goes to the athletes. Another important idea from the article top 10 reasons why college athletes should be paid on the website listland.com explains why college athletes should be paid. “Say what they will about fairness of the scholarship system, public businesses that used the image of an athlete, model, actress or any other public figure for their own gain would ultimately end up compensating the individual they use”. This is a powerful example that  explains why these colleges and the NCAA owe college athletes money. It is rather obvious that the NCAA and college universities get paid millions every year and they owe college athletes money. These young college athletes that are still in their teens or in their early 20s are being used by the university they attend. All this information supports the need for paying college athletes.

Secondly, playing college football is like a full time job. The website “thesporter.com” introduces the idea of college football/sports being a job, not P.E. The article top 10 reasons why college football players should be paid gives information to explain why college football players should be paid.One key piece of information to explain why college football players should be paid is, “College football is a business where players routinely spend extra time in film sessions, working out in there free time and vigorously preparing for there next opponent between all that”. This means that playing college football or any other college sport is like having a full time job. This matters because college athletes work hard in the classroom and on the field day in and day out, this doesn’t really leave them any time to work so they can make some money for themselves. Another important detail from the website “listland.com” indicates how much time athletes really put into their sport, “college athletes spend an average of 43.3 hours a week dedicated to their sport”. Working hard for 43.3 hours a week just on one sport is a key detail that proves playing college sports is like a job. This evidence matters because college athletes not only  make themselves a better athlete but make their team and school better.  Even after  athletes do all this stuff for their universities, the university doesn’t pay them or even give them some food or money for the weekend or when they need just a little bit of cash. This information supports the need for the pay of college athletes.

In addition college athletes, especially college football players give up there bodys for there school. “The article titled top 10 reasons why college football players should be paid” supports the idea of college athletes especially college football players getting paid. The article uses expert opinion to support the idea of college athletes giving up there health for there school without being paid. One key example to explain how college athletes give up their own bodys for there school without being paid is “college football players sacrafice there bodys almost daily and put themselves in danger each and every game, all without pay”. This means that players constantly put themselves at risk of a terrible injury, all without being paid. This really matters because getting injured really bad can change a person’s entire life. Another important idea from the article “Top 10 Reasons Why College Football Players Should Be Paid” from “Thesporter.com” explains why college football players should be able to jump right into the nfl without having to be treated so bad in college, if football players could just hop right into the nfl following high school. None of them want to be treated like a slave in the college ranks. This a essential piece of information because elite players would probably rather go right into the nfl after high school if they had the opportunity to do so.

Many college universities and just people in general say that if college athletes get paid college sports all together would just be ruined. The article “Top 10 Reasons Why College Athletes Should Not Be Paid” introduces the reasons for college athletes not being paid. The article uses expert opinion to explain why paying college athletes would ruin college football. one important example to support the idea of paying college athletes would ruin college football is “All of the shenanigans that occur in the pro’s would likely happen in college sports if student athletes started getting paid”. First of all all that “shenanigans” that happens in NFL or the NBA doesn’t ruin the organization, second more people than not would disagree with that claim. What this source is trying to say is all the bad stuff that happens in the NBA or NFL would make its way into college sports. This evidence matters because nobody wants to see all that bad stuff that happens in the professional sports happen in college sports. Another important idea from the website “listland.com”explains more about why paying college athletes would end up ruining college sports. “Students would start holding out contracts because they want more money, unions would up that would focus on the rights of college athletes, and there would be lockouts if these athletes are not happy with the university they are playing for”. This means student athletes would want more money, unions will protect the athletes and the athletes would protest. This matters because people want to watch the game and if college athletes protest there would be a lot of second and third string players playing and the NCAA and college universities would start losing money because the games won’t be as exciting. Well more people than not would say that college athletes would not be greedy enough to protest like that if there getting a fair amount of money, another thing is if they did what some people say they would do that would ruin their chances of getting into the pros, and all college athletes want to be on that field or court playing ball and they want to become a professional athlete.

There are many reasons and claims out there for why or why not college athletes should be paid. Such as the reasons that have been talked about throughout this entire argument. Even though paying college athletes might end up ruining college football and college athletes already get scholarships, college athletes should be paid, if the NCAA gets paid then players should as well, playing college sports is a job not P.E, and college athletes especially college football players put their health on the line for there school every time they step on that field or court. In the end college athletes should get paid at least a couple thousand dollars a month, also the odds of college sports being ruined do to the fact of college athletes being paid are very slim.