Paw Print Press

Paw Print Press

GMS School Rules

GMS students at the December 8th dance showed Pup PRIDE and were very respectful according to GMS staff

Laryssa Gonzalez

Grandview Middle School has 3 main school rules, to listen and follow directions when and as given. This means to follow directions the first time that you are told to do something and to do it right or as instructed. So when a teacher asks you to do something to do it as the teacher says and when they tell you to do it. The second, school rule it to respect your classmates and all staff. To respect your classmates and all staff means no cursing or saying bad words, no angry or aggressive tone of speech, no derogatory slurs, or other inappropriate language as determined by staff. The last main GMS rule is to keep your hands, feet, and objects to yourself. This means to not take other people’s things and to not be kicking them or hitting them in any way because that is rude and against the GMS rules.

GMS P.R.I.D.E. the P in P.R.I.D.E. stands for perseverance. Perseverance means that you try your hardest and never give up at anything that you do whether it is in school or outside of school. Wherever you are in order to persevere through anything you have to set goals for yourself, stay positive, take action in problems, and learn from others or your mistakes. In a classroom you have to strive for success, ask questions and seek help, and always work hard. These rules don’t only apply to school, they also apply to every other thing that you do in your life. For perseverance in the school cafeteria you have to be patient in line, and wait quietly in line by not yelling and listening to the teachers that are guiding the line(s). One rule of perseverance that students often fail to accomplish is perseverance in the restrooms. The rule is to use the restrooms and locker rooms during break times. Students at Gms always fail to accomplish this rule because in every class, students always go to the restroom during, class and once one student goes the whole class needs to go to the restroom. This is a problem because students are often missing class and missing out on school work and lessons.

The R in P.R.I.D.E. stands for respect. Respect means to respect yourself and others around you, to exhibit appropriate language, behaviors and fashions. This means no bullying and to respect teachers and your classmates and to use appropriate language everywhere you go. Respect in a classroom is to listen to the speaker without interrupting and to respect school property. Students struggle with respecting school property because in the hallways there are always ripped posters and students draw on pictures of sport teams which is not respectful. Respect in the cafeteria means to eat your own food and not to eat other people’s food unless you have their permission. Also, place trays and uneaten food in the garbage. This means to through the food away in the garbage and to not just leave it on the tables which sometimes students struggle with. Respect in the restroom is to be mindful of other people’s privacy, leave others belongings alone and to turn in lost items. This means to not look at people in the restroom and to leave their things alone if they are outside or to turn it into the lost and found or a teacher. Respect in assemblies and special events seems to be the hardest at GMS. Students at GMS are usually disrespectful during assemblies. They are always talking to their neighbors and talking over the speaker and never wait for dismissal from their teachers. This is something that I think GMS students should diligently work on.

The I in P.R.I.D.E. Stands for Integrity. Integrity means to always be responsible and kind, do your own work, and to do the right thing, even when nobody’s watching. Integrity in a classroom is to do your own work and to be trustworthy and trustful to others. This means to trust others and to gain other people’s trust by being nice. Integrity in the cafeteria is to always say “please” and “thank you” to the lunch helpers because they work hard in providing food for all of the students and staff at GMS and it would be nice for them to know that we appreciate them and all of the hard work that they do. Integrity in the restroom is to go directly to/from restroom. Students, even though it is one of the easiest rules to follow, we fail because they try to skip/get out of class, this is a problem because then they miss out on learning plans. Integrity in the restroom is also to lock up belongings, dress quickly, have necessary items, and to be orderly. This means that students must be prepared for class on time and not waste time.

The D in P.R.I.D.E stands for discipline. Discipline means to strive for consistency, be in time, take responsibility for yourself, and to use your cell phone within guidelines. This means to always go to school on time, to not blame anyone else for your actions, and to not use your devices unless a staff member allows you to. Discipline in a classroom is to come to class prepared, follow school and classroom rules, stay in your seat until excused, meet deadlines, challenge yourself, and to do your homework and turn it in on time. This all basically means to always be prepared and to always try your best. Discipline in the cafeteria is to clean your area, and use conversational voice level. Sometimes students can struggle with this because most times it is so loud so others are forced to yell in order to hear whoever they are talking to.

The E in P.R.I.D.E stands for excellence. Excellence means to always do your best, exceed everyone’s expectations, and to inspire excellence in others. Excellence in the classroom is the same thing as what excellence means which is to always do your best and to inspire others to always do their best.

GMS has many school rules that aren’t that hard to follow, yet a few GMS students sometimes fail to follow these rules. GMS still needs to work on a lot of rules but every year we seem to improve and get better at following these rules.